Monday, February 8, 2016

1933 - Miss Ortmayer's Adventure - Johnson A-35

This article is of some interest because of Miss Ortmayer's Old Town canoe propelled by a little Johnson A-35,  but it is equally of a snapshot of our view then of "rich young things" amusing themselves.

The opening sentence , "I'd of enjoyed going to Europe this summer,  but I spent to much money going down to Havana over Christmas-time."sets the stage.  There are a few implied editorial comments by the journalist that clue you in to his take on Olivia's adventure.

Once I read this I fell down the rabbit hole of the Chicago World's Fair and came up with some cool (to me) odds and ends I'll share at the end of this post









Motor Boating Oct 1933


I want this!!!!  It is a teeny tiny house jack.

1933 WORLDS FAIR CHICAGO CENTURY OF PROGRESS SIMPLEX MINI SCREW JACK.
3 1/4 " high































How about this for an iron toy?

And here is the real one.

General Motors and Chrysler pavilions...

No comments:

Post a Comment