Saturday, October 17, 2015

1914 - Seattle to Ketchikan with a Koban

Updated - 8/27/2019

S
ome time ago I came across this red rimmed photo and small article somewhere. 

I thought it was a really interesting voyage, and set to look for the magazine "story" I assumed would follow.  No such luck!!

Koban should have hired a ghost writer to create it for these guys if they weren't into writing!

Finally, I found something longer than 2 inches that seemed to fill out the story enough to post.  I still think there must be a story somewhere!

Jack kept saying,"I think I might have something in my files...", which doesn't help much, but keeps me hopeful.

I didn't find the date of their voyage, but the article in Gas Power was published in October of 1914.  I assume the voyage was that summer of 1914.

Koban was started in 1913, and the reference book, The American Rowboat Motor, mentions they started selling in 1914. 

This was a great publicity move.


Later:  Jack saw I was going to post this and went to his "vault" and found  almost the exact same article printed below,  BUT with certain interesting differences.

The article Jack has is a single sheet one might receive in the mail from the Koban company with some other literature.

One side is this article with two photos not included in the Hunter Trader Trapper publishing.   Also different is the use of the Koban name every time the HTT article just says outboard :-)  The sheet says it is a copy of an article from Pacific Motor Boat Magazine where the article also appeared with the only difference being in the next to last paragraph where they change the name of the magazine.

Photos under the article.


 
 ______________________
 
 ______________________








This is in Seattle about 1915.  I just liked the photo...nothing to do with story.


No comments:

Post a Comment